Immigration to the United States involves many rules, documents, steps and stages. If this is your first time dealing with immigration matters, the process may seem daunting or confusing. But the picture may be clearer for an immigration attorney who has walked clients through the same process several times before. Hiring an immigration lawyer can help you determine whether you meet the requirements for your desired status, file paperwork and stay on top of deadlines. If you are looking for someone to guide you through the legal system while moving to or living in North Central Florida, take a look into the immigration law firms Gainesville, FL has to offer.
An Immigration Lawyer’s Role
Immigration lawyers can help foreigners obtain the documents they need to visit the United States as tourists, live in the country temporarily for study or work, move to the country permanently as resident aliens, or become U.S. citizens, among other purposes. Immigration attorneys can also be hired by U.S. individuals or organizations when they want to sponsor international employees so they can work in the country. Attorneys can be especially helpful in cases when people have been threatened with deportation or fear that something in their background may prohibit them from obtaining the desired immigration status. If you are overwhelmed or frustrated by the process of obtaining a green card, bringing family members to the U.S., or obtaining assistance from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), it is important that you find an immigration attorney you can trust. With 21 years of experience assisting clients in North Central Florida to resolve complex matters, Cary Torres strives to be the best immigration lawyer Gainesville locals can confide in.
Specialization Is Key
Because law is an extremely large and complex field, it’s practically impossible for most lawyers to be well-versed in every area. Working with a lawyer who specializes in the subfield in which you need help is likely to yield better results. Thus, a lawyer having helped you once with an area — be it personal injury, criminal defense, taxes, contracts, family, medical malpractice, bankruptcy, estate planning or others — does not mean he or she will be a good fit to help you with immigration matters.
Immigration law is constantly updated and changed. You need an attorney who stays up-to-date and is able to inform or warn you about recent developments, down to the smallest detail. Also, lawyers who have years of experience assisting clients with matters of immigration tend to be more aware about how sensitive certain situations can be and have the training necessary to protect clients’ dignity despite their circumstances or immigration status.
Questions to Ask Your Immigration Attorney
Establishing open communication with your attorney is essential. The more information he or she has about your background, the better he or she can discern which arguments could help or hinder the case. In turn, a good lawyer keeps clients informed on the progress of their cases and is aware of the client’s concerns. Here are some questions you can ask a Gainesville immigration lawyer to have a better understanding of the processes and requirements specific to your case
- How long have you been practicing immigration law?
- How much of your practice is dedicated to immigration cases?
- What is your experience with immigration cases like mine?
- Will you be overseeing my case through to its resolution? Who will be working on my case beside you?
- How busy are you now, and when can you start on my case?
- What specifically will you do to help me? (Ask whether the lawyer will complete and submit all paperwork on your behalf, oversee other administrative work, attend interviews or court hearings with you, etc.)
- How will we communicate, and who will be my main contact person?
- Are you a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)?
- What are my chances of a positive outcome, and how long do you think my case will take? (Keep in mind that lawyers cannot guarantee success, but they can have a general idea of your chances and give a rough time estimate.)
- Can you give me references of past clients and may I contact them for more information?
Choose Torres Law Firm, PA for Immigration Guidance
Cary Torres is a Spanish-speaking immigration attorney providing legal services in Gainesville, FL and the surrounding North Central Florida region. The mission of our multicultural law firm is to eliminate barriers by providing assistance in the client’s native language. At Torres Law Firm, PA, we strive to protect our clients’ trust and dignity while we handle their cases with empathy, effective communication and the highest code of ethics and professionalism. Contact us today for a consultation.